Drone Survey Course
Check out the video below to have a sneak peak of the UAV surveying modules we will deep dive into. This video has many examples of outputs, on the job shadowing and an overview of each component of a UAV survey.
proudly in association with
Introduction to Course and brief overview of each component of a drone survey
- Overview of the course objectives and structure.
- Introduction to what’s involved in a drone survey.
- Walk through of dataset collection.
Module 1: Border
- Purpose of flight border.
- Introduction to border creation in different flight apps.
- Using DJI Pilot 2 to import or manually create a border.
- Accuracy at flight border demonstration.
- Key takeaways for creating a border.
Module 2: Flight Pattern
- Exploration of flight patterns and their role in aerial survey planning.
- What environments require a single grid, double grid with oblique camera or linear/corridor flight pattern.
- Techniques for planning efficient flight paths while not breaking property laws.
- Consideration of higher camera angles when using different flight patterns.
Module 3: Height
- Selecting appropriate flight heights based on survey requirements. The correlation between ground sampling distance and survey accuracy. Demonstration of how height affects resolution.
- Case studies illustrating how height choices can affect site time, dataset size and survey outputs.
- Why maintaining a consistent height above ground level is important. Demonstration on how to use terrain aware feature in different flight apps. How height has an impact on your overlap settings.
Module 4: Overlap
- Examination of overlap settings in aerial surveying and its importance. Adjusting overlap settings to adapt to various terrain to ensure quality outputs.
- Methods for determining optimal overlap percentages.
- Practical applications and benefits of different overlap settings in surveys. How to change overlap settings in various flight apps.
- Introduction to key points in data processing.
Module 5: Speed and Camera Settings
- Exploration of the relationship between drone speed and camera settings. Demonstration of various methods for choosing camera settings and speed of your drone.
- Techniques for optimizing camera settings to reduce motion blur. How to access and correctly use shutter priority mode in DJI Pilot 2 and Map Pilot Pro
- Comparative analysis of image quality at various speeds and camera settings.
Module 6: GCP, RTK, Checkpoints
- What are GCPs, RTK and checkpoints
- How to establish your GCPs
- Methods for capturing GCP locations
- GCP layout
- Methods to receive RTK corrections
- RTK with GCPs
- Accuracy issues when not using GCPs or RTK
Summary and Conclusion
- Overview of important information from each module
- Final review of all components of a drone survey